Saturday 22 May 2010

Dario Argento's Suspiria





Without any doubt what-so-ever Suspiria was one of the most frightening films I ever saw. I was 16 and I managed to get in to see this old x film with my then girlfriend also 16. We thought we were so clever getting into an x film. Once it started, I remember thinking that I wished I had not put myself out so much. I think the girl with me did too. She buried her head into my chest but had to take it away because she could hear my heart pounding with fear. Everything about this movie worked for me. It was complete suspense - on the edge of your seat stuff and although I was terrified; I was glad of the experience afterwards, when we were both laughing at how scared we had been as we travelled home in the night.

Everything about this movie works for me as a horror film and I think Dario Argento got all things right. Even the music by the Goblins built up the tension. At first as haunting little chimes, then gradually growing to a terrifying pitch with banshee screaming in the background. It fills you with fear and had me chewing my nails down to the elbows. If you like a good horror, then you must see this one.

No comments: