Monday 6 September 2010

Eccentric David Bowie


David Bowie is extraordinary and eccentric. Without doubt, he is the most outlandish person I've ever seen. I think his music is strange but usually this is what makes me listen to it. Sometimes the lyrics are very simple and boringly normal - yet he can still make them sound weird - wonderfully strange. This song; (Be My Wife) is very normal really, but when David Bowie sings it looking and dressing normal, you realise - just through vision; the man is anything but normal.

Obviously since writing this blog some years back, David Bowie has passed away at the age of 69. It seems strange that he is no longer with us. I remember the first time I ever saw him. He was singing STARMAN and it was about 1972 on Top of the Pops. Mick Ronson was with him playing guitar as with other songs from his Ziggy Stardust era. I remember thinking he was pretty out there, at the time. Perhaps a little too out there from my eleven your old perspective, though I did like the music.

As time went on David Bowie grew more on me and I particularly liked the Sound and Vision song. When I left school in 1977, I started work at an Israeli Re-insurance company called Sahar Re. When I got my first month's wages, I was off down the record shop. I bought ChangesOneBowie. It was a sort of best of. I went on to buy so many of Bowie's many entertaining albums after this.

Some of his lyrics were so wacky. Things like; "Keeps all your dead hair for making up underwear,"
and also, "The cop kneeled down and kissed the feet of a priest, and the queer threw up at the sight of that,"

Some people have a magnetic charisma and I think David Bowie was one such person.




No comments: