Saturday 30 April 2011

Hero (Chinese film with Jet Li)

I watched this film and was mesmerised by the story, the characters, the glorious and vibrant colours, the music. This story had everything - the fighting scenes were unashamedly over the top and lavish. It was fabulously far fetched to a degree that made the film all the more compelling. The music enhanced the viewers mood, making me feel sad and sometimes fierce. The photography or film work - I don't know what is the proper terminology, but it was breath taking. There was a scene in a wood were two ladies fight a duel amid cascading autumn leaves that swirl in mini whirlwinds as both compete with super fast sword play, leaping amid the tree tops of gold leaf confetti. Honestly, it is lavish and surreal - pure escapism inside China's long and spell binding history. 

I'm not your usual martial arts buff. By this I mean I'm not one of those people who liked the Bruce Lee movies or others from the 1970s. They honestly did not do it for me. But just recently, I have been enjoying some of the real quality films that have come out of China - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of the Flying Daggers, Red Cliff and my favorite; Hero.

I was spellbound by the characters and the wonderful music of Hero. I loved the secret plot to try and assassinate the Emperor to be; King Ying Zheng of the Qin - but the ending!

Oh man, what an absolute peach of an ending. It was pure heroics as our nameless assassin descends the vast court stairs with powerful  music - full of strutting tempo following the bold warrior towards the huge doors.

Descending the great steps from
 King Ying Zheng's Palace
All of the Emperor's advisers calling upon him in unison. Hundreds of guards and archers preparing for King Ying Zheng to give the command. Hundreds of servants calling in unison over and over again.

No comments: