Sunday 3 April 2011

Rush - Tom Sawyer (Reminds me of Stan Dolan)


When I worked in the Royal Mail, there was a work mate named Richard Dolan. We nicknamed him Stan Dolan and we always referred to him as Stan. He was the same age as me and there were a few of us that went in to the Royal Mail in 1979 at the age of 18.

One time he told us he had joined a rock band and they were playing live at a place called The Bridge House near the A13 flyover at Canning Town, East London. My friend and I went down to see Stan in his band and to be honest they were awful. They were a supporting band to another group that I liked.

When we were in work on the Monday, Stan said the other band sounded like Rush - an American rock group. Stan later brought in a tape of Rush so that I could listen to them. I can't remember the name of this Canning Town 3 piece band, but the song Tom Sawyer, sung by Rush, does remind me of them. Of course, Rush are so much more famous and nothing came of the rock band in Canning Town,to my knowledge. Nothing came of my late friend, Stan's band either. We did have a few laughs about it afterwards though and Stan laughed too. He liked a bit of good natured chuff. He introduced me to Rush and I always think of him when I hear this song. It reminds me of Stan's two week jaunt on the road to not becoming a rock star. I hope you are in a better band up there Stan... :)

















No comments: