Thursday 7 July 2011

Brit Sixties Retro Memories - Marianne Faithfull

 

Marianne Faithfull was a peach from the sixties and was involved with the Rolling Stones during this era when all young people were on the rebellious anti-society trip. I knew of her name (though not how she looked) by this Rolling Stones thing. I could remember grown ups speaking scornfully about Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull.

The first time I remember seeing her was in a film called, 'Girl on a Motorcycle.' When I watched this, as a young adolescent, I thought she was the centre of the universe. How could anyone think ill of her? I wanted to elope with the lady, upon her motorcycle, and live in a log cabin in an isolated forest and never see anyone again, except Marianne Faithfull, of course.

To be fair, the film seems rather mellow in this day and age. But when I first saw it, I thought it was very erotic and fell in love with Marianne Faithfull. It is hard to believe, she is now in her mid sixties. I still enjoy the movie, even though it seems tame in the next century. It reminds me of what I was once like. I think, I am fortunate today because science and invention through television and media captures people as they were in that time and moment - it allows me live as I was in that past time and instant - I can step into the young person I once was and for a moment I can stroke that way I felt.




































No comments: