Friday 27 July 2012

How the Funeral of Sir Winston Churchill Took Place in 1965




This is from YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/asjarrett

I suppose something in the entire nation died with Winston Churchill. It was like closing the chapter of a book - the story of that type of Great Britain ended. I was just four at the time and can't remember it. However, the people in the crowd - the everyday people I mean. They way they dressed and the way they look - their faces, I mean. I can remember that and the policemen even look strict. They had a different composure. I worked just by Saint Paul's Cathedral for 20 years from 1978 to 1998. The world has changed so much. Britain has changed enormously, yet I did not notice it from day to day. I never see the things slip away and only realise when I watch this and feel the sad nostalgia. I would never want to return to that time because I like the Britain I live in, despite what others might think, but sometimes the retro images pop up and I swoon for the old days.

No comments: