Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Skies the Limit? No its not! Apollo Eleven Put that one to Bed.



The sky is certainly not the limit when we know and have seen such things as a footprint on the moon. The saying can be put to bed now because we want more than the confines of our sky. The saying was blown away in 1969 and one of my memories is of the return splashdown being covered on live t.v. We had a black and white television with dodgy vertical hold so that it kept jumping. I was eight and could not correct it and began to throw a hissy fit. The dog went under the table with its tail between his legs and the living room door opened with my Mum standing there in her rollers and a grim look. I got a clip around the ear for my tantrum, but she corrected the t.v. for me. I watched the splash down in peace after that.
I can remember the excitement of the Apollo eleven crew and felt sorry for Michael Collins (centre). He never got to land on the Moon but had to orbit while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin got to walk on the lunar surface.

The Sky can never be the limit now that there are footsteps on the moon.




No comments: