Friday 24 January 2014

The Last Days Of Thunder Child by C A Powell - Book Reviews - Good and Bad)



1. By  John Johnny   on October 20, 2009
Format: Paperback Amazon Verified Purchase 

I really enjoyed this story's take on The War of the Worlds. It is set aboard H.M.S. Thunder Child as it sails around the South coast of England, receiving semaphore messages from shore stations about Martian tripods laying waste to Great Britain. I thought the characters were good and I especially warmed to Mister Stanley's personal journey. I thought the story was well paced and it built to a very exciting climax!


2. By  James Urban   on June 13, 2013
Format: Paperback Amazon Verified Purchase 
Very good book. Telling part of the story about "War of the Worlds" that I think most folks would like have heard more about back even when it was 1st release.

3. By  Mark Chadwick   on May 17, 2013
Format: Paperback Amazon Verified Purchase 
As a big fan of the musical War of the Worlds, when I stumbled across this I was ecstatic.

It's a pretty interesting tale as told from the point of view of one of the sailors on the Thunder Child, but it's a bit shorter than I would have liked, and a large font hid the fact that the story was even shorter than the number of pages would suggest. However, it was a reasonably enjoyable read, with good descriptive visuals that took me back to the musical.

I'd recommend it, but I think if you have never heard the musical, you should do that first to understand what the Thunder Child was, as well as what was going on at the time this story takes place. Without it, it may be a less engaging story for you.

4. By Lindsey 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from The Last Days of Thunder Child (Kindle Edition)

I have never read The War of the Worlds but still found this to be an enjoyable read.
An intriguing story of sea battles and alien invaders told through the perspective of the Royal Navy Crew, and a character I instantly enjoyed, Mister Stanley. I thought the story was too short, but it was well written and edited. The author did an outstanding job building up this story and it ends with a lot of excitement!!

I would recommend this book, if you're interested in a short fun, science fiction!

5. By Brian G. - See all my reviews

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)   
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Last Days Of Thunder Child (Kindle Edition)

Novels like this are like a painting inside of a painting, or a painting inside someone else's painting. C A Powell does a great job in both stepping into Wells' world and handling the sea battle, which is probably the most challenging kind of battle to write. For more detail watch the video I made. For a buck this book is definitely worth it. I got at least seven out of it.

6. By F. J. Bayog of Fantascize - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from The Last Days of Thunder Child (Paperback)

The Last Days of Thunder Child evoked a feeling of wonder in me when I read it. The settings feel credible. The alien invasion --Well-described; I love its connection with War of the Worlds. There are exciting scenes that moved me while I was reading it. Very enjoyable read. If you love quality sci-fi with a heart-pounding story, check this out. It's definitely one of the best sci-fi novels I've read.


7. By Alan J. Stedall  VINE VOICE
Format: Paperback|Amazon Verified Purchase
If like me, you have often wondered what brought the torpedo-ram, HMS "Thunder Child", to engage with the Martian invaders, pitting Victorian military technology against advanced extra-terrestrial science far beyond the wit of man, then this is the book for you.

It sets out the last journey of that sturdy little iron-clad, with her breech-loading guns and the brave British sailors who manned her, up to her fateful engagement with the three Martian war machines in the Thames Estuary.

As the officers and crew of "Thunder Child" watched the pitiless tripods with their death-rays wade through the river towards the paddle-steamer, "The Southend Belle", packed with screaming women and children, they knew that, in the best traditions of the Royal Navy, they had no choice but to engage, regardless of their prospect of success. And, as we all know, thank goodness, attack they did.

A very enjoyable read and I learnt much about the history of this famous engagement, e.g. the valiant support we received from our European allies.

But at the end of the day, this was after all a British victory.

God Save Queen Victoria!
8. By Mr R. J. Buckley
Format: Paperback
This book is very enjoyable and moves at a good pace. Any WOTW fan knows what happens to Thunder Child, but the build up in this story is good and the ending is spectacular. I liked the idea of being aboard the ship as she sails towards her heroic confrontation with three alien tripods. The final battle is seen from the crew's perspective and is very gripping. I have to admit to a little adrenalin rush. Good Sci/fi/ or alternative reality, and set during the time of the British Empire

Other reviews on Goodreads, Amazon.co.uk & Amazon.com
https://buff.ly/2DFkshk
https://buff.ly/2B0xiYg
https://buff.ly/2UnqFs3


YouTubers









Andrew Givens (from YouTube)
I love the notion of using the Devastation class for Thunder Child - those breastwork monitors perfectly fit Wells' description of a low-lying almost waterlogged ship with a massive central structure. HMS Glatton would be another contender, with her extreme low freeboard. I always visualised Thunder Child as an 'improved Polyphemus', carrying better guns, but have recently hit upon the idea that Wells may have had the Danish torpedo ram Tordenskjold in mind - the name similarity is compelling.



bonesf200 (from YouTube)

Loving this book. I've read all but 1 of the War of the Worlds spin-offs and this is by far the best. It's the only one, I've found, that really captures the mood of the original. Great scares, characters and dialogue with loads of ginger-haired people knocking around. (and I'm also really proud of the fellow Northerner who saves countless lives with his father's makeshift coal gas mask. Top bloke)
 





1960jefbot (from YouTube)
H.M.S. Thunder Child dies, She never surrenders...She dies Hard






Daniel Chapman (from YouTube)
Farewell, Thunder Child!



Genuine criticism is welcome.

(One Not so Good Review)
9. By B. Murphy 
Format: Paperback
I really can't see me reading this book, which is a shame.

It's just arrived and the first thing to strike me was the tiny size of the print. I have never bought a book with such small type.

It's really annoying as there is ample blank space at the top & bottom of each page to have made the print larger. Or they could have spent a few pence adding more pages.

Average letters are a little over 1mm tall as opposed to nearly 2mm in the paperback I'm just finishing. Doesn't sound a lot but it's getting on for double the size.

I'm not that old (Late 40s) but I'd have to read it with a magnifying glass or suffer a *lot* of eye strain.

So instead I'll probably look for a second-hand copy of the version published by emp3books instead. It's 42 pages (27%!) longer which suggests the type is readable. Also, none of the Amazon reviews for it suggest this problem.

Retro Brit Answer
In the above new edition, the old front cover returns. There was this complaint above by B. Murphy that the font was too small. This was noted and the script is now larger with professional work done filling page to proper proportions. The result is; more pages, giving the book a better look. One that the reader would find more kind to the eye.

Genuine criticism is welcome.


10. By Daniel Greenway 

Format: Paperback|Amazon Verified Purchase


Having been a lifelong fan of War Of The Worlds I was delighted to find this book on Amazon, after discovering it on YouTube.
However, having purchased and read it, I was disappointed by the calibre of the storyline. The book itself claims to be the story of the last days of HMS Thundrechild and whilst it skims over this as a baseline, it`s also the story of a group of survivors aboard the little steamship.
I won't divulge any more of the storyline as I don't want to spoil it for those who might be interested in buying it, but suffice to say H.G.Wells it is not! The style of writing reminds me more of the library books I used to read at school than something that seeks to extend the original story, so I`d have to say it`s more for W.O.W. collectors, like myself than for anyone else.

 To sum it up I`d have to say (like my school reports used to say)could do better

Retro Brit Answer

 I would rather like to feel this is the sort of book one might find at a school library. Still, 3 out of 5 stars is average, I suppose. Can't win them all, but thanks for the review.
Kindle USA

For people living in the USA; you can download The Last Days of Thunder Child for just $0.99. That's right, for less than a dollar if you do Kindle USA

Click the link below if you live in the USA and have Kindle.


No comments: