Wednesday 6 January 2016

Uriah Heep Singing Wizard. (Reaching back for the Optimism)





Some of these old seventies rock bands really flick an old nostalgia switch. They seemed so modern - an open door to a new world that was waiting with open arms, where personified dreams beckoned. Now even the old dreams seem tainted and sad. The world has changed so much since this time in the early seventies and I never noticed it along the way.

When I look back, I can see the change, but did not notice as the days and months rolled by. Only when looking back, across the years, I realise changes were happening and these caused consequences and so on. However, I'm not complaining that the changes are disappointing. They are just different from what I think I expected. I think songs like this, when I was young, presented a horizon of opportunity - a view of a green meadow with a clean sun shinning just above the lush green wheat. It seemed very inviting. My life before me.

I think I walked to that hill and passed that beckoning sun but never noticed it because there were so many things that I was attending to upon the way. I was young when I heard the upbeat and very pleasant song and the dream was a wonderful indulgence. The romantic journey towards the future was about to begin, then it did and I never bothered to notice the optimism along the way.

Then, I hear this song again and watch the band as they were back then. The echo of that hopeful time brushes me and I remember how jolly it was to be a youth again with naive and grand ideas. Its all part of growing up and now we can go back and touch those memories as an indulgence.

Great song, great band and great memories.

No comments: