Tuesday 3 May 2016

The Kingfisher Gets His Dinner.

Carole and I were walking along the River Nene. We had decided upon an evening stroll to see if we could spot the barn owls. However, it was too early and there was a lot of daylight left. They come out nearer to dusk.

We did see many other types of bird. The whole place was alive with Goldfinches and they were chirping away in the trees and hedges. I saw a few on the telephone cables and snapped some with my camera. I also saw some Chaffinches. 

As we ambled along the canal bank by the house boats, Carole stopped me and said, "There!"

I looked at her and frowned. She was pointing ahead and added. "On the post by the houseboat - a Kingfisher."

As she said it, I made out the turquoise blue of the smashing little river bird. It was perched on a metal bank bannister pole by the moored houseboat. I focused in on the bird and began clicking away with the Nikon D3100. Some of the shots were not sharp enough, but there were a fair few that came out fine. 

After a while, it flew off but I managed to spot it again. It went on the house boat and dived into the water. It then emerged with a fish in its long rapier-like beak. I managed to get another group of shots as the creature went about shaking and banging the captured fish. Making it ready for consumption. 

















No comments: