Thursday 22 September 2016

A Shop of Fine Wines and Whiskies with a Picturesque Riverbank Stroll


Carole and I decided upon a trip to St Ives where a car showroom was. I am thinking of buying a new car, so we had a look at some. We left with some thought on what we might like but did see one vehicle that ticked many boxes.

Afterward, we decided to walk around the town center of St Ives. It is a typical picturesque English town and I've mentioned it before on other blogs. We stopped at a small cafe and had a panini each with a cup of coffee. Afterward, we decided to walk further along the high road and out of the town center. We usually cut down an alleyway leading to back streets where our car is parked.

I said to Carole. "Let's skip the alleyway and walk along the main road. I think there is at least one more alley further up and closer to the car park."

Carole agreed and as we strolled along we came upon a wine supermarket. The shopfront was modest to look at with a display window either side of a central doorway. However, upon looking through the open doorway, we noticed it went back a very long way with row after row of wine shelf displays.  

I decided to go in and have a look around. It was like an Aladdin's cave for wine lovers. There was everything from all the various winemaking nations of the world. I then saw some of the various spirit displays and looked at the fine whisky selections they stocked. Some of it made the eye widen with delight and repulsion. There seemed every type of scotch whisky, but there is a particular Irish one I was looking for. A good old regular Irish Whiskey. I found it easy among the Irish stocks.

As for the one that made me grimace with a touch of repulsion, well...?

I might be writing unfairly because I never tasted such a thing and being an Englishman, I don't like to sound unpatriotic. However, English whisky does fill me with doubt. I'm of the opinion that it should be left to our Gaelic neighbours. I might be wrong, but I would not chance an English whisky against Irish or Scotch. Even as an Englishman, I'm shuddering at the thought. Heaven only knows what Scotsman or Irishman might think. I would add that some of them were priced at usual levels so it was not cheap or over expensive.

Carole called me over to look at one bottle of whisky that was well over £1,000. I suppose one would be very worried about drinking that. It would be more of an investment I think. We continued looking around the establishment and I was delighted by the selections of French red wine. I have earmarked a fine box of six Clarets for nearer Christmas.

Before leaving, I bought a bottle of my favourite Irish whiskey as I do have a soft spot for this particular tipple. One might notice that Scottish whisky is spelled without an e in the word, but Irish has the e (as in whiskey) I think American whiskey does so too.

We continued to walk along the main road passed the museum and saw the river make way towards the road. Neatly running along parallel with us as we walked the lovely river bank. We found the next alleyway that came out directly from our car park. However, curiosity had the better of us and we decided to explore further along the river. Up to an old church and a walkway bridge.

It was a most scenic stroll before we went back to the car and drove back to our little hamlet town of March. We spoke of options concerning the car along the way.








No comments: