Saturday 1 October 2016

Does the Odd Photo Bring Nostalgic Memories Out of You?


East London in the 1960s

Wow! This photo is so wonderful. As a kid, I grew up here and that is how I remember Poplar. I keep thinking of lines from an Al Stewart song.

"In the island where I grew up, nothing seems the same,
Still, you never see the change from day to day. 
No one notices the customs slip away."

Of course, this area is not an island, but the words have a certain poignant meaning to them that I find gratifying. Change has to happen, I suppose, but I would dearly love to walk around those streets again, as they were then.

I know it is nostalgia because, even as a small boy, I had a yearning desire not to stay in the city of London. I got out into the rural areas and was glad of it. But I do like the odd trip down memory lane now and then. I think of my old school, my late grandparents, old neighbours etc. 

This is a very fine photo. A very fine photo indeed.


No comments: