Wednesday 1 March 2017

Oystercatchers and Chips Along Hunstanton Sea Front.


Although it is still winter, the weather does seem to be a little milder as we drift towards spring. My wife and I decided to go out for a drive to Hunstanton. It is about twenty miles from where we live. Perhaps a little more, but not much.

We went to the town centre, upon our arrival, for a cup of coffee and a scone. After this, we went to the bakery and bought a couple of pies for a dinner in the evening. We put our bought items back in the car and decided for a walk along the sea front. I had a bag of chips and the gulls and ducks zoomed in and around us. 

Carole made the mistake of feeding some chips to the ducks. To our surprise, the jealous gulls swooped and squawked about our heads, as though protesting. "Hey! Where are our chips?"

After a while, Carole tipped the remnant of uneaten chips on the pavement and the noisy gulls feasted. They were like a giant collective vacuum cleaner. The chips were gone in seconds.

We walked and chatted for some time. I saw some strange type of bird on the rocky beach and asked Carole if she knew what they were. I'm always trying to catch her out. However, she always seems to get them right.

"I think they might be Oystercatchers," she replied as though unsure.

I had never heard of such a bird and Carole did not seem too convincing. I thought I had come across one she had not seen. I would be proved wrong. I photographed one and when we got home and looked the bird up, sure enough, Carole was right - again.






No comments: