Wednesday 26 April 2017

Swallows and Amazons 2016 Movie is a Fun Film.

I was flicking through my Amazon Prime on the TV the other day looking at some of the new download movies. I always like British orientated movies. Being a Brit, I'm a little biased on that front. However, that does not mean that I don't enjoy other nation's movies. I do.

On this day, I was looking for something retro and British. Something from the good old days. Then to my delight Swallows and Amazons came up. It is a famous old retro Brit story, but I had never got around to reading or watching the older presentations of this story on TV before. So with great aplomb, I decided it was time to strike this story off of my bucket list.

It is set in 1935 when a group of four children are about to go on their summer vacation to the Lake District of England's Cumbria county. There are four children all brothers and sisters and two of each. (Boys and Girls)

Their father is a naval officer and is away at sea and that is all we know of the children's Dad. Their Mother, who is in charge of the holiday venture, is Scottish and from the Highlands. She has some understanding of what a wonderful place the Lake district can be for the children.

The story becomes exciting straight away when the children witness a daring encounter between two groups of secret agent spies. A chase and an outrageous getaway upon the moving steam train going to the Lake District.

Once established in the idyllic Lake District, the children get their boat called Swallows and head for an island in the middle of the lake. In their imagination, they are pirates with treasure and the island in the lake is their secret hideout.

However, there is another group of pirate fantasising children called Amazons. From here on the former secret agents from the train mix the real adult world up with their childish pirate world and a grand adventure begins. Splendid stuff and loved the 1930s feel of the entire movie. Very enjoyable and well worth watching.



No comments: