Monday 31 July 2017

Death To The French by C. S. Forester. (My Goodreads Review)

Death to the French

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The story is set during the Peninsular War in Portugal. The British Army under the Duke of Wellington is retreating behind the Lines of Torres Vedras during the French 1810 offensive. A rifleman (Matthew Dodd) of the 95th Regiment of Foot is caught behind the retreat and is cut off in the wilderness. With the help of some Portuguese guerrillas, Dodd wages a small campaign against the Napoleonic French forces as they try to manoeuvre through the mountain passes to lay siege to the Lines of Torres Vedras.

This is a most enjoyable story as Dodd and crew fight the occupying French forces waiting for the British counter offensive to come. I read it many years ago, but remember the schoolboy enjoyment I got from the novel. Well worth reading, especially if you enjoy Napoleonic history.


The Last Days of Thunder Child



View all my reviews

No comments: