Sunday 10 September 2017

Falconry Area at Sandringham Country Fair.

Storm the Female Common Buzzard.

I was anxious to see the birds of prey that were kept in the Falconry area of the Sandringham Game and Country Fair. We had a map in the brochure as we entered the event, but I was going in the wrong direction and became side tracked by so many other interesting themes as the other blogs will show.

In the end, I came back to the Shire compound and had to line the brochure map against the pathways we had travelled. It was then obvious that I had been wandering in the complete opposite direction.

After this, we discovered the various tents to do with birds of prey. I have to say, it was a joy to see so many fine Raptors. There were some from other countries. I was, however, more interested in the birds of prey I see around the Fenland on a day to day basis. Especially the Common Buzzards, Kestrels, Barn Owls, Little Owls etc.
One particular man had a Female Common Buzzard named Storm. This bird of prey was an absolute peach to look at. Especially her colouring. Buzzards do have varied colours ranging from dark browns to much lighter forms. I’ve even seen some with greyish plum at distance but I think that is when they are juvenile.


However, the Buzzard called Storm was a smashing beauty of a Common Buzzard. She had such light markings. Especially her head. I had to ask the Falconer holding her what she was. I had no idea she was a buzzard at all until he confirmed it. I supposed it was a bird of prey from another country. A species I would not know of.





Harris Hawk.

Another type of varied Common Buzzard Colouring.

I've seen a number of Little Owls in the Fens.


European Eagle Owl


Peregrin Falcon





Grey Owl

Another varied Common Buzzard's colouring.

I was told this Owl is from Australia

Male Kestrel

No comments: