Tuesday 13 February 2018

The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells (My Goodreads Review)

The First Men In The Moon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a book that I had always meant to read but never got around to doing. After 40 years, I decided to take this off of my 'things to do' list. I am sure I made the correct choice. I do not think I would have appreciated it as much as I do now. It is not as good as War of the Worlds, The Time Machine or The Invisible Man. Though I think these three mentioned novels are exceptional. The First Men in the Moon was very good against exceptional. Therefore, stiff competition.

If H.G. Wells had only written this novel, I think it would stand in the pulp sci-fi sections like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert Ervin Howard or Michael Moorcock. What I am trying to say is that the other novels put H.G. Wells in a classical writing frame. Whereas this marvellous novel seems to be more like good old pulp sci-fi. 

Again, I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it. I'm as much a pulp sci-fi fan as I am classical. 


View all my reviews

No comments: