Monday 19 March 2018

The Red Pony by John Steinbeck (My Goodreads Review)

The Red Pony

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I remember that we had to read this at school during our English Literature class. We did a few John Steinbeck stories. They often seem to be set in mid-west America and rural, during or just after the depression times. This is on a Californian ranch. I know that is west, but it still has that same American ranch setting. That is me, a foreigner looking in from outside. I remember the lad Jody. I also remember one of my old workmate having the same name as one of the Farm Hands - Billy Buck. John Steinbeck always seems to deliver a cold and hard reality of life's many bitter disappointments. These seem to be well placed in most of his novels. You are fed a joyful idea. A notion or goal to work towards, but the end product is never what one might anticipate. There is always a hidden cost. A good story - well worth reading.


View all my reviews

No comments: